How Do You Delete Netflix History?
How Do You Delete Netflix History?
Sometimes, our Netflix recommendations can seem a bit scattered or out of hand… After a night of falling asleep while watching a movie, your Netflix starts randomly playing a bunch of titles outside of your control. The next day, you log into your account to watch something and see a bunch of random titles recommended to you that you’re not at all interested in.
Or, perhaps, you gave your little cousin the password to your Netflix account and they used it to watch a bunch of kids shows and Disney movies… Now, Netflix is recommending that you watch Clifford: The Big Red Dog instead of your usual action/sci-fi movie titles.
Thankfully, there’s an easy way to fix this, and we’re about to show you exactly how! We promise it won’t take more than a few minutes before you’re back on track and your Netflix viewing history is your own.
Usually, we’d be writing about VPNs or internet security topics. However, after having a couple too many readers ask us how to solve this specific problem, we figured that it was a good time to address it. So, let’s dive in!
Why Would I Want To Delete My Netflix History?
There are a couple of reasons why somebody might want to delete their Netlfix viewing history:
- They want to improve their algorithm’s title recommendations.
- They want to hide their viewing history from somebody else on the account.
The first reason is, by far, the most common. At one point or another, we’ve all made the mistake of giving somebody else our Netlfix login password. Instead of creating a new viewing profile (as they should), they decide to use your viewing profile. After a couple of weeks of watching titles under your profile, your algorithm is now recommending you to watch things that they would be interested in.
The best way to get your Netlfix algorithm back on track and recommending the right titles to you is to go back and delete the titles that the other person watched from your viewing history. Within 24 hours, your algorithm will revert to showing you custom-tailored recommendations for you (not the other guy).
The second reason you might want to delete your viewing history is if you’re sharing your Netflix account with other individuals who might be a bit “judgemental.” Maybe you don’t want your Mom or your Grandma to see the R-rated, blood, gore, and sex-filled titles that you normally watch… Or maybe you’re a kiddo who went a bit crazy with their viewing privileges while their parents were out of town for the weekend (hey, we’ve all been there).
How To Delete Your Netflix History: Step-by-Step
Whatever your reasons may be for wanting to delete your Netflix viewing history, be rest assured that there’s an easy, simple, and fast way to get rid of unwanted titles showing up in your history. In less than 5 minutes, you can get your viewing history back to what it was previously and ensure that your algorithm is showing you the right recommendations.
So, without further ado, here’s our step-by-step guide for how to delete Netflix history.
1. Log Into Your Netflix Account As Usual: First, you’ll need to access Netflix’s desktop version. This won’t work in the app or using your Smart TV Netflix app.
Once you’ve pulled up Netflix.com, log into your account as you normally would using your email and password.
2. Select Your Viewing Profile: Next, make sure to select the viewing profile that you want to delete titles/viewing history from. Keep in mind that each viewing profile has its own viewing history; the history doesn’t translate across accounts. Also, make sure that the viewing account you’re using has maximum parental controls, as this won’t work if your account is limited to a kids’ viewing privilege.
3. Navigate To Account Settings: Now that the easy stuff is out of the way, it’s time to navigate to your account settings. Hover your cursor above your profile icon in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen. Click the drop-down menu and select ‘Account’ near the bottom of the menu.
4. Scroll Down To ‘Parental Controls’: This will open up all of your account settings and information. Next, scroll down the page until you see the header titled ‘Parental Controls.’ In this section, you’ll be able to select/control viewing activity for different accounts and view the history of each viewing account. Here’s how it should look:
5. Choose The Profile and Select ‘Viewing Activity’: Now, click the little downward arrow next to the account you want to delete Netflix viewing history from. This will display a drop-down menu with different options for that particular viewing account. Select ‘Viewing Activity’ from the list.
6. Remove Chosen Items From The List: Finally, you’ll be able to view all of the titles you’ve ever watched. To remove an item from the list, simply click the ‘Cancel’ icon to the right of each title. You can scroll down and delete all of the titles you want, as so:
Will It Permanently Delete The Title From My History?
Yes! As soon as you hit the ‘Cancel’ icon by a title for the first time, you’ll receive a pop-up notification telling you that the title will be permanently deleted within 24 hours. The only way that it will ever show up in your viewing history again is if you watch the title again.
Can I Delete An Entire TV Series From My Netflix History?
Yes! As soon as you delete one title from a TV series, Netlfix will prompt you and ask whether or not you want to remove all episodes from that particular series. You can also delete all of your Netflix viewing history by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and selecting ‘Delete All.’
Can I Watch Netflix Titles Available In Other Countries?
You sure can! By using a high-quality VPN that offers obfuscated servers to mask your identity, you can “trick” Netflix’s servers into thinking that you’re accessing your Netflix account from another country. This, in turn, will break down the geo-blocking restrictions put in place by Netflix, allowing you to view content from the country where your chosen VPN server is located.
See, that wasn’t so hard now was it? Deleting Netflix titles from your viewing history is as easy as 1-2-3, and the results are permanent. Within 24 hours of deleting a title, they’ll no longer show up in your viewing history and your algorithm will be back on track to showing you customized titles that you’re actually interested in.
As always, remember to stay safe while you’re browsing online. Make sure your anti-virus is up to date and always use a secure VPN while browsing the internet on unsecured connections. Until next time… adieu!